Everything you need to know about cannabidiol or CBD, to buy and use the best, pure, natural CBD; Along with Nursing guidelines for safe and effective use of CBD for pain and anxiety, including a CBD consumer guide and mini CBD self treatment checklist for you.
What is CBD?
Short for cannabidiol, CBD is just one of over 120 active compounds called phytocannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. Unlike Delta 9 Tetrahydrocannabinal, THC, the euphoric cannabinoid which bins to CB1 and CB2 receptors, CBD does not bind endocannabinoid receptors nor dose it cause intoxication.
Why Use CBD?
CBD treats multiple conditions including Alzheimers, Parkinson’s, M.S., Epilepsy, Pain, Anxiety, Nausea, Depression, Cancer, Inflammatory disease, Rheumatoid arthritis, Infection, Irritable Bowel, Chron’s disease and Cardiovascular disease and Diabetic complications.
CBD also treats alcohol and Opioid addiction, Obesity and Schizophrenia. We used to hear from cannabis naysayers that there’s not enough research, but just look at this graphic with a review of studies listed for each health conditions responding to cannabis based therapeutics.
CBD is a Natural Medication
- Non intoxicating
- Safe for children
- Safe for old people.
- Safe for pets.
- Limited side effects.
How does CBD help?
A powerful Anti oxident, CBD has greater ability than either Vitamin C or Vitamin E to harvest free radicals, working within the mitochondria during cellular metabolism.
Serotonergic, CBD locks directly into Serotonin receptors drugs like Buspar, Paxil and Zoloft treat indirectly. 300–400mg of CBD isolate and full spectrum CBD demonstrated effectiveness for severe Social Anxiety.
Anti inflammatory, CBD inhibits activated microglial cell migration while also protecting neural cells against excitotoxicity related by excessive nerve firing.
Pain relieving, CBD prevents Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase, FAAH, from breaking down anandamide, AEA, the molecule of bliss, a natural analgesic.
CBD Dosing Guide
- Take CBD consistently with a meal for highest bioavailability. While we only absorb about 5–6% of the CBD taken by mouth, pairing CBD with a fatty meal will help increase availability of circulating CBD within the blood stream. For optimal absorption, drop CBD under tongue for sublingual delivery or between teeth and gums for buccal delivery and let absorb, naturally.
- A single oral dose of CBD starts to work at 1–1.5 hours, peaks at 4–5 hours and is decreased by half at 17 hours. Consistent, dosing will provide optimal relief and benefit as CBD is bioaccumulative, providing long lasting correction due to increased endocannabinoid tone.
- Take high enough doses of CBD to get optimal results. 5mg of pure, CBD isolate is roughly the equivalent of 50 mg of whole plant CBD. If 100mg of isolate is needed then 500mg of Full spectrum CBD may be needed to produce the same result. Since all industrial hemp strains are now breed from only five seed types, high levels of the terpene myrcene is common to full spectrum CBD. This terpene is the most commonly cause sleepiness and the discomfort of full spectrum CBD overdose.
- To benefit from the entourage effect while getting high doses of pure CBD, mix full spectrum CBD with CBD isolate to increase CBD power and create a CBD rich oil while taking advantage of the presence of the whole plant. CBD isolate mixed with hemp oil from the grocery store will also give a full spectrum, entourage effect as Hemp oil has all 500 cannabinoids present.
- Be cautious of THC in whole plant extracts which can increase anxiety in dosing. Whole plant extracts can also cause positive drug results on drug tests, therefore if you get drug tested it’s best to use zero THC CBD to avoid possible job loss. Even over the counter full spectrum CBD can cause a positive drug test result.
- Employ a multi dimensional, holistic treatment approach to optimize healing.Treat painful joints, or other localized areas of pain with direct, topical application of CBD or other cannabinoids. Drop CBD directly on painful spots and rub in for pain relief which lasts for days. Add Arnica oil, or other terpenes like lavender to increase receptor range activation and deepen the healing effect by optimizing a broad range of cannabinoid skin receptors.
- Add over the counter cannabinoids high in Omega 3 fatty acids by incorporating hemp oil to your daily diet. How do you know if you need to add fatty acid to your diet? Rub the back of your upper arms and check for small bumps, a dry rash, or scaly skin. This is a sign of fatty acid deficiency and the need for Omega fatty acids from Fish oil, Hemp oil, Flaxseed or Borage oil.
Cost of treatment with CINCSciences CBD.
To save you time, I'm going to reveal that the price per mg of CINCSciences CBD is just .3 cents per milligram, meaning that a daily high dose of 100mg will cost you just $3 dollars ! Compared to many of the CBD's I have priced, ranging up to 20 cents per mg, that's $20 per day, CINCSciences CBD is a savings of at least $17 per day over leading brands! Just WOW!
As a cannabis nurse expert and holistic public health nurse coach, my number one piece of advice for CBD consumers: know the price of your CBD!After the 2018 Farm Bill effectively descheduled CBD, there was a huge rush of CBD products to the market, while the cost of a kilo of CBD was over $1200. Now five years after the CBD market opened, the cost of a kilo of CBD has dropped to as low as $600 per kilo. Or less than 1 cents per milligram. All things being equal, consumers are paying too much if it’s more than ten cents per milligram. To figure the cost of your CBD treatment multiply the cost per milligram by the number of milligrams in the daily dosing regimen. I take 100mg per day and the cost of my CBD is .03 cents per mg, therefore I am spending $3 per day on CBD. Roughly the cost of a regular cup of drip coffee. However, at ten cents per mg, my daily dose of CBD would cost me ten dollars each day! See the difference? Things get really wonky when you actually figure the cost of CBD in Full Spectrum CBD, since there are other cannabinoids present, you may only actually have 80% of cannabinoids present in the Full Spectrum represent CBD. Therefore, the less pure you CBD, the higher cost of treatment.
Finally, the last thing I want to say is to be mindful that when you are buying CBD that it’s important to find a brand you trust with a CBD product that is affordable and has a certificate of analysis that tells you that the CBD products have been tested by a third party lab for independant results.
Look at the COA’s of products to confirm the product has been lab tested. Then figure the cost per milligram of CBD to know treatment costs, then finally decide if you like the taste, smell and quality of you CBD.
The last thing is to look for is if there is any help using CBD or information about best practice. This is where I take pride in my particulair CBD niche, as my customers know they will get some coaching when they purchase my CBD products.
I realize that not every CBD company is a trusted health professional, but it certainly helps!
I want to clarify that I have used affiliate links in this article as an experiment. Although, I hardly expect anyone to click and buy, I just want you all to know that your support helps a small, woman owned business.
Thank you for reading and make sure to comment if you have any questions.
Best of luck on your journey with CBD.